Monday, January 19, 2009

PCOS could kill me

So I just found out some awful information about a disease I have called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS for short. Apparantly it is one of the leading causes of uterine and cervical cancer. Because I am not able to be treated I am at an extremely high risk and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. So now I have to deal with my weight, hair in places that hair doesn't belong, the inability to get pregnant, and a high chance of getting a "woman's" cancer. It kinda makes it seem like it just isn't worth it anymore.


I found out that because I have PCOS the ONLY way I can possibly lose weight is to go on a very strict "no white foods" diet. No carbs, sugar or dairy. That means no pasta, breads, cereal. Most of the soups I eat use milk. Almost everything we eat as a family has carb rich foods like bread and pasta in it because that is all we can afford. I'm almost 300 pounds and I feel like I am completely losing control of everything in my life. This blog was supposed to be about me accepting my body the way it is, but this is getting to be too much. It's ridiculous. I could accept myself at 225 or even 250 because then at least I could go into Wal-Mart and buy an outfit. But if this keeps going I won't even have that option.


On a happier note, the whole family got out for a nice walk with the dogs today. We went to Sike's Lake and just enjoyed the beautiful sunshine we are blessed with right now. It was so nice to get out with Charles and Mary and just do something that doesn't involve eating, TV or movies. Hopefully it's something we can start to do more often.


Anyway, I don't have anything else going on right now. Just trying to deal with this new load of information and keep my sanity.

5 comments:

Aunt Jean said...

Hey Sue: I realize what you have is serious but why is it that you can't be treated? I didn't understand that part. Anyway don't get down on yourself because of your weight. Look up these two websites. These women were heavy also and they are doing okay. They may not have what you have but they are the same size as you. Keep your chin up and keep hoping for a cure. Love ya G'ma

Aunt Jean said...

P,S: I forgot to tell you the web sites. Good memory, just short.lol They are Rita McNeil and Kate Smith. Also these comments are coming through as Aunt Jean and I don't know how to change it. Love ya anyway G'ma

Daria said...

I know exactly what you're going through. The hair, the weight, the fear. I was diagnosed last year as well. I, too, can't be treated. I don't respond to glucaphage. Weight loss is my only option. If you check out my blog, you'll also see that I was in a car accident two years ago that's left me with a major back injury. I fight every day with these issues. You fight too. It will get better. I've lost weight. I'm not as sick anymore, if I don't eat too much grease, and I've come to terms with not having children. These were such brave posts. I commend you. I'd like to follow your journey, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Anonymous said...

Hi my I know what your feeling. I was able to have one child. Thank god. I did get cancer I had a total hysterectomy. After that I thought no more problems, but pcos takes over your immune system. I have a pituitary tumor, then my pancreas went out of no where. So at 35 I am a type 1 diabetic. That almost killed me. Yesterday I went to doctor and now my liver and kidneys are suffering. PCOS is an autoimmune disease. It takes over your whole body depending on the severity. Please take care of yourself. No one helped me. Eat like a rabbit and walk as much as you can. I know it's hard to eat right given the hard economic times. I struggle everyday. I look at my daughter and I want to see her grow. I wish you the best of luck please do the best you can. I wish someone would have told me the same. Take care of yourself. Heather

BumbleBlue said...

I know what you mean. I got diagnosed a while ago and as far as I've been told by doctors there's nothing I can do except cut out all these foods and we've really tried but I have a few other medical problems as well that require me to eat certain things that will negatively affect my PCOS. Recently it's been affecting me more than it used to and I've been majorly hormonal and irritable and my body has been quite strange. Let's all cross our fingers and hope we get through this. X